Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Mini Confinement

 In the Chinese tradition, new mums go through a period of confinement post delivery whereby they are expected to stay indoors for up to a month and observe certain practices such as not showering/ washing hair, not drinking plain water or anything cold, keeping warm and taking special diet made with lots of vinegar and ginger. It is believed that this would help with the recovery and to prevent chills and dispel any "wind" from the body that may cause migraine or rheumatism later in life.

Even though my pregnancy has ended, I have been advised by my mum-in-law to observe a mini- confinement for a short period of time. To tell you the truth, I am pretty clueless as to what I should be doing or how I should be preparing my meals. I have started making myself a daily flask of red dates tea which I drink in replacement of water all day.  I must admit with all that has happened, I can't help but wish I have someone to fuss over me (I want my mommy!). But oh well, it's not going to happen so I will just have to learn to take care of myself. I shall attempt to brew a [simple] tonic chicken soup for my soul sometime this week...(any secret recipes to share? :))

Red Dates Tea - Made with red dates, ginger, dried longans and rock sugar (there's no tea in it)

3 comments:

sugarlens said...

For my confinement, my mother in law made chicken soup with lots and lots and lots of ginger. Basically just throw in some chicken (drumsticks or whatever you like), lots of ginger (like LOTs), and a bit of rice wine. Let it simmer for hours. It was delicious and made my tummy very warm.

knickknacks said...

Thanks, Joyce! That sounds like something I could try! =)

mama bok said...

Lots of ginger and red date tea is good.