Sunday, August 01, 2010

Chinese Tea Eggs

We had the family day picnic today and everyone was supposed to bring a dish. Wanted to make Pa Jun (Korean pancakes) initially but realized it wouldn't taste too good when cold. At the last minute I decided on Chinese tea eggs using a ready tea/spice mix my friend had sent me. I boiled and cracked the shells of the eggs the night before and then put all the ingredients into my crockpot and allowed it to simmer overnight. Was quite happy with how the eggs turned out in the morning...

...and even the shells looked so pretty!

These can be easily made using black tea, star anise, cinnamon stick, peppercorn and soy sauce.  What you get is a slightly salted taste with a subtle infusion of tea and spice. *Mmm...* It would definitely be something I'm keeping in my list of potluck dishes to bring in future!

3 comments:

sugarlens said...

I love tea eggs! But with just the 2 of us (since Anna doesn't eat real food yet), it's the worth the effort to just cook a couple. Perfect for potluck!

sugarlens said...

it's not worth the effort, i mean.

sorry, i should really re-read my comments before hitting publish.

knickknacks said...

Yah..it takes a long time to cook and it definitely would not be worth the effort if you are just cooking a few. Will have to wait for the next gathering to cook these again!