Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Homemade Siew Mai

After seeing how easy it is to make Siew Mai from scratch last week, I decided to give it a try for dinner yesterday.

Recipe adapted from My Kitchen Snippets:

Ingredients:
300 grm of ground pork (or chicken)
200 grm of shrimp (roughly chopped)
5 water chestnuts (diced small)
3 dry shitake mushroom (diced small)
2 stalk of spring onions - finely chopped
1 stalk of coriander (optional) - finely chopped (I skipped this)
1 egg white
2 tsp of corn starch
1 tbsp of oyster sauce
1 tbsp of soy sauce
1/2 tsp of sesame oil
salt and pepper to taste

Wanton wrappers
Green peas or carrot cubes (for garnish) (I skipped this)

1) Combine all the ingredients together except for the wanton wrapper and mix well. Set it aside in the fridge for 30 minutes.
2) Trim the wanton into round shape. (I used the round dumpling wrapper)
3) Put one teaspoon of filling in the center of the wrapper and press the wrapper up around the filling so that it almost meet at the top. Make sure the bottom is flat.
4) Press a green pea or a carrot cube into the top. Arrange the siew mai in a grease plate and steam over high heat for 10 - 15 minutes.
5) Serve warm with chili sauce. (I had no chilli sauce so I ate them with ketchup)

Here's the end product. Yums! :)

3 comments:

Zsuzsi said...

That looks delicious!

knickknacks said...

It doesn't look as pretty as the ones we usually get outside but hubby finished 10 at one go! :)

sugarlens said...

I made Siew Mai uing the exact same recipe before. They turned out great, looked just like yours!