Saturday, November 13, 2010

This could be my full-time job! ;)

It has been a busy week of volunteering. I was a kitchen helper at the Cleveland Foodbank, which involved preparing trays of frozen roasted chicken and pouring gravy over them. I went in with no expectations and was surprised by how large the building and store was. I was a little tickled to be told that I could cause the whole operation to shut down if I did not observe the hygiene regulations in the kitchen. It certainly would be disastrous if the place has to close down after my very first visit! The next day saw me doing inventory check and packing at a unique shop selling crafts for third world people to ensure that they earn a fair wage. Some of the stuff are really pretty and exquisite and it is nice to know that the things do sell well. Yesterday, my friend and I spent the entire day helping out at the Fabulous food show which featured celebrity chefs, cooking demonstrations, food and wine tastings. It was a mighty big turn out for a Friday morning and we were swamped initially. We did have our fun later in the day with endless sampling of food and drinks, freebies and sitting in for some of the cooking demos. The admission fee was rather pricey ($30 for general admission and more for celebrity shows and the wine tasting pavilion) so we didn't really mind the long hours shift. Plus they did provide us with free lunch and a free admission ticket to use over the weekend. Finally, I've got one more ushering job at the theatre this weekend and I'm done for the week!  Looking forward to sleeping in this Sunday! :)

4 comments:

Zsuzsi said...

Sounds like you've had a busy and exciting week. Must be great to do all those different things, at least you won't get bored :) Have a good weekend!

knickknacks said...

Yeah..it has been pretty fun! You have a good weekend too! :)

sugarlens said...

Whew, what a busy week you had. Hope you got some well-deserved rest on Sunday!

knickknacks said...

Haha! I sure did! :)