Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Chwee Kueh

Last night, I had a sudden inspiration to make Chwee Kueh (aka steamed rice cake with preserved radish) for breakfast this morning. My sister had brought over the aluminum molds for me but they've just been sitting in the cupboard. So I looked up the first recipe I could find online and got to cooking. The recipe was pretty easy but I was (and still am) unsure as to how thick the batter should be before transferring them to the individual molds. The rice cakes turned out a little too soggy and I almost threw them out but they tasted just fine after sitting overnight in the fridge. (Phew!) I topped them with fried preserved radish this morning and breakfast was served! :)


Recipe adapted from Jas's Kitchen:
Ingredients:
180g rice flour
25g corn flour
800ml water
2 tbsp oil
½ tsp salt

1. Place the two flours into a bowl and pour about 300 ml water. Mix to form a smooth batter. Strain.
2. Bring remaining (500ml) water, oil and salt to boil. Reduce to low heat. Pour in batter and stir constantly till it thickens.
3. Grease a few chwee kueh molds. Pour the mixture into each mold and place it on steamer. Steam over rapidly boiling water for about 10 minutes.
4. Remove from mold.
5. Serve hot with radish topping. (Preserved radish fried with minced garlic and sugar)

No comments: