Monday, September 20, 2010

Food challenge of the week: Indian Chicken Briyani

This week I wanted to cook one of my favourite Indian cuisine - Briyani. I used to eat so much of it for lunch at work that it was no surprise that my cholesterol was on an all-time high! Very spicy, extremely sinful but oh so good! I decided to try the recipe by Vah Chef at vahrehvah.com. The long list of spices required was pretty daunting but I managed to get most of it except for mace (which I substituted with nutmeg powder), black cardamon and saffron. Note that the recipe on the link does not tally with the ingredients used in the video. This was what I used:

Ingredients:
For the marinade:
6 chicken medium pieces
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
2 sticks cinnamon
2 cloves
4 green cardamoms
1/2 tsp cumin and coriander pdr
1 tsp black cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp each of chopped ginger and garlic
2 green chilli
1 tsp nutmeg
6 piece pepper corns
2 cup yoghurt
Fried shallots
2 tbsp oil or ghee
Salt to taste
For the rice:
2 cups Basmati rice
Water
Salt to taste
2 tbsp oil

1. Add all the ingredients (except rice) with the chicken pieces and mix well (see video). Marinate in the refrigerator for at least four hours.
2. In a large pot combine the rice, water, salt, some oil and cook till the rice is half-done. Drain the excess liquid and spread the rice on a plate to cool.
3. In a large heavy-bottomed pan add chicken with marinade and spread a the rice evenly on top. Top the rice with some coriander, mint leaves and fried onions.
5. Cover pot with a tight lid and cook on high heat for first 10 min, medium heat for next 10 min and low heat for the last 10 minutes. Check for doneness.
7. Garnish with slices of boiled eggs, nuts or raisins.

The recipe was relatively easy to follow. However, my biggest issue was determining the time at which the basmati rice was 50% done. I must have overcooked it a little because the rice turned out softer than it should have been. I was quite happy with the taste though and I was pleasantly surprised that the chicken pieces did not burn or stick to the bottom of the pan. Next time, I shall try the baking method by showmethecurry.com.

4 comments:

Zsuzsi said...

I'll definitely write this down: it looks and sounds delicious! One of the things I miss about England is all the Indian restaurants... here (and this probably doesn't surprise you now) there are none.. or just very bad ones.

knickknacks said...

They do have really good Indian restaurants in UK. Indian food and British cuisine are almost synonymous now.
Are the Spanish less open to international cuisines?

Jane said...

it looks sooo delicious, mmmm

Noturavgmom said...

looks yummy! I might just add this to this weeks meal plan.