Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Vietnamese Summer Roll

The food challenge of the week was supposed to be Korean cold noodles. However, I couldn't find them at the Asian supermarket I was at, so I decided to make up for it by making hubby his favourite Vietnamese rolls. The rice paper were a little tricky to work with but the rolls turned out alright in the end. I also made the boo boo of mixing all the ingredients for the sauce into one bowl but it still tasted pretty good. :P

Recipe adapted from Squidoo.com:(makes 6 rolls)
Ingredients:
6 sheets rice paper
2 large leaves of green lettuce, cut into small pieces
3 ounces rice vermicelli, cooked
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
12 mint leaves
9 large shrimps, cooked, peeled, deveined and cut in halfs

For the dipping sauce:
1 tablespoon fish sauce
3 tablespoons warm water
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3/4 clove garlic, minced
1 1/4 tablespoons white sugar
1/3 teaspoon garlic chili sauce (Chirashi)
2 3/4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon finely chopped peanuts (I replaced the sugar and peanuts with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter)

1. Bring the water to boil. Boil rice vermicelli 3 to 5 minutes, or until al dente, and drain.
2. Dip the rice paper in a large bow of warm water so it will become soft
3. Place the rice paper on a flat area, then stack small amount of lettuce, rice noddles, cilantro, mint leaves, and 3 haft shrimps
4. Roll the rice paper
5. In a small bowl, mix the fish sauce, water, lime juice, garlic, sugar and chili sauce together.
6. In another bowl, mix hoisin sauce, peanuts, and chilli sauce. Serve the rolls with these two sauce.

2 comments:

sugarlens said...

I make a different version of this myself with all kinds of veggies, meat, and mung bean noodles. Yum.

However, I like spring rolls far more than summer rolls. Deep fried is always better in my book.

knickknacks said...

I like all things deep fried too! :) But it creates such a mess in the kitchen!